Sunday, June 29, 2008

Crepes

Okay, so there's a story to tell. First, though, I have to let Josh know that there are no hard feelings about this incident anymore. Really. But I have to tell the story anyway.

The last time I made crepes was probably four years ago. I was babysitting, and I decided I would make them for all my little siblings. My cousin Tate was over, too. So that meant there were two thirteen-year-old boys to feed. That was my first mistake.

That crepe making attempt was sort of a disaster. I made crepe after crepe after crepe, and the kids snarfed them up as fast as I could make them. I decided to set one aside for myself so I'd get at least one. So I set one on a plate and set it aside while I finished cooking the rest. Josh ate it. And I didn't get any crepes. And I decided I was never making crepes again.

But I've learned a few things over the years about making crepes.

First rule: Eat the first crepe yourself, so you are guaranteed at least one of these babies.
Second: Jambon e Fromage. aka Ham and Cheese. Once the first side of the crepe is done, flip it over and melt the cheese and warm the ham on the other side. Mmmm!
Third rule: Nutella. Nutella has opened up whole new world to me. Voila! Crepe perfection.

Recipe:

1 1/2 cups flour

1 Tb. sugar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups milk

2 eggs

1/2 tsp vanilla

Measure flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Beat with hand mixer until smooth. For each crepe, lightly butter 8 inch skillet; heat over medium heat until butter is bubbly. (or use pan spray) Pour scant 1/4 cup of batter into skillet; immediately rotate pan until batter covers bottom. Cook until light brown; turn and brown on other side. 12 crepes. (I guess it depends on how big you make them. This recipe only made five crepes for me and Kent. If you've got a few hungry teenagers to feed, I'd probably double or even triple it. And make sure you set one aside for yourself.)

Toppings:

Nutella and Banana, Brown sugar and butter, powdered sugar and jam, peanut butter and honey, strawberries and cool whip, ham and cheese, etc. Creativity is the key!

8 comments:

Shannon b said...

looks yum! The last time I made crepes was for a mutual activity. My leader put chopped up broccoli & chicken (both cooked) and cheese in some of them and it was really good.

Teresa said...

I could go for a good crepe right about now- hope Kent appreciates all the great food you make :}

Josh said...

Hey, in my defense, you put that crepe on a plate and left in on the counter, which is where Mom always puts the plate that is fair game. And it's okay. I don't mind you telling it. It's definitely made me more aware of making sure whoever is making the food gets some, so it's all good.

Jocelyn said...

I'm a huge nutella fan, isn't it just so yummy!

Lisa Brown said...

Mmm . . . I love crepes :).

Creole Wisdom said...

Delicious. I am a huge crepe girl, blame it on YEARS (and I mean YEARS) of French class and activity in French club : )

I never thought to add ham and cheese, but I loved that combination on toasted bread- called a croque monsieur. Go figure!

And nutella is always good. I just passed a HUGE case of it at the bookstore the other day- right next to the fudge.

Becca, your apron is so dang cute! I love it!

Emily said...

We have a biannual tradition of "Conference Crepes"! nothing better than eating crepes and letting them settle while watching conference... and we can justify the treat and have time to recover from all the preparation twice a year!! One suggestion... Last year I bought Glen a crepe maker, yup... they have them and they are thee best invention ever!! It's like an upside down frying pan thats filled in you plug it in and it gets hot and you simply dip it into a bowl of batter it cooks the crepe all the way through, you peel it off and wa-la! It's perfect and ready for toppings!! We got it at kitchen kneads here in Logan but I've seen them all over... If you love crepes like we do you gotta have one -it saves half the time!! I love alfedo sauce with either ham and chicken (or both!) and cheese... YUM!! and the dessert ones are delicious... we love peaches with whipped cream... Hmmmm maybe we'll have to make a batch before conference?? I'm making myself hungry for crepes!!!

Anonymous said...

great food is what men love and we can see why Kent loves you... wink