Thursday, June 5, 2008

100 things

I always like reading these lists from other people, so I thought I'd make my own. It's crazy long, but here it is if anyone is interested in knowing...

100 things about me:

1. I like to brush my teeth in warm water.
2. Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods, especially from restaurants.
3. I have mild scoliosis, and my back is sore sometimes because of it.
4. I had a roommate who labeled me an “incurable optimist.”
5. Yet I wish I was as optimistic and happy as my little sister. Sometimes I think I get too easily discouraged or disappointed.
6. I wear contacts.
7. I’m dying to have Lasik someday.
8. I’ve never been pulled over.
9. I have gotten one ticket, though, because of an accident I caused when I was only 16.
10. I like to eat leftover pizza while it’s still cold.
11. I can’t get into bed unless it has been made.
12. If we don’t make the bed during the day, I make Kent wait to get in at night so I can make it first.
13. I don’t like having cups of soda (the kind you get from a restaurant) anywhere in my house.
14. A clean sink is one of my favorite things.
15. Kent and I are trying a new thing where we don’t eat after 7:30 at night.
16. My very first best friend died of a brain tumor when she was only 5. My dad and I sang “I’m trying to be like Jesus” at her funeral.
17. I have only had two pets in my life: a rabbit and a guinea pig.
18. I wrote two full length novels from when I was thirteen until I was seventeen.
19. I haven’t written any other books since then.
20. When I was in preschool I said I wanted to be a mommy when I grew up. When I was in third grade I wanted to be an author, too. Now I’m back to just wanting to be a mommy.
21. Yesterday, I had 57 things on this list, and this morning my computer has eaten them up. Oh boy. Computers frustrate me sometimes, but I’m grateful Kent is so good at using them.
22. I love the color green.
23. I hate socks. I don’t like how they feel. It doesn’t matter if they’re clean, being worn, or balled up in a corner somewhere. I don’t like them.
24. My feet are always cold. But that doesn’t convince me to wear socks. I only wear them with shoes that require it. As soon as the shoes come off, so do the socks.
25. I LOVE camping. A lot. My mom’s family goes camping nearly every year together, and it’s so fun.
26. I was born on May 24, in Colorado.
27. Until this year, I had never been farther east than the nine months I lived in Colorado after I was born.
28. I’ve been to France twice, a fact that still amazes me.
29. Kent was the first person ever to ask me on second date.
30. So, naturally, he was the first person I “dated.”
31. My shoe collection only contains one pair of heels.
32. My most common illness is strep throat. I used to get it probably 5 times a year. Now it’s closer to 2 times a year.
33. In fact, the reason I’m writing this list right now is because I have strep again and I’m looking for something to do.
34. I got a 4.0 in High School.
35. Math is my hardest subject. Numbers just don’t make any sense in my head.
36. I rely heavily on my cell phone’s calculator.
37. I played the flute for 5 years.
38. I am not very coordinated or athletic. But I was in marching band, and I considered that a sport.
39. I am CRLA tutor certified.
40. It’s hard for me to justify spending money. So I don’t really like shopping very much.
41. Although, it’s growing on me. I had some roommates who got me a little more into the whole shopping thing.
42. I’m the oldest of five kids. One sister, three brothers. My youngest brother is 15 years younger than me.
43. I took one year of formal piano lessons, and taught myself the rest.
44. There was one semester at school where I had four piano callings at the same time.
45. I really wish I knew how to sew better, but every time I try it I get too impatient to enjoy it.
46. I do, though, love cooking, and I’m getting better at that every day.
47. My favorite books are Les Miserables by Victor Hugo and The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.
48. I have a quirky rebellious streak. I’ve never done anything outrageous because of it; mostly I just do the opposite of what I’m told, and if anyone tells me I can’t do something, I prove them wrong.
49. I got my rebellious streak from my mom, and before we got married, my dad pulled Kent aside and warned him specifically about it.
50. I like pie better than cake.
51. My left arm has been broken twice. The first time, I fell off a swing set. The second time, I fell off a slide.
52. My oldest brother, Josh, blames himself for both of my arm-breakings. But they weren’t really his fault. He just played a key role in the incidents. The problem was my lack of coordination.
53. I know how to move sprinkler pipe, and I did it every summer for my Grandpa.
54. I enjoy moving sprinkler pipes, but I really hate mowing the lawn.
55. And vacuuming. I guess it’s something about the back and forth motions and trying to cover every inch of ground that gets to me.
56. My favorite household chore is washing walls.
57. Moving stresses me out a lot.
58. I have had 13 teeth pulled and I had to be put under every time.
59. The thing I worry about most is my health and the health of the people I love.
60. And I’m really good at worrying. I’m trying to not worry so much. Any ideas how?
61. I’ve learned two things about where I want to live (or don’t want to) someday. #1. Rexburg is way too cold in the winter. #2. San Antonio is way too hot in the summer.
62. I want to have at least four kids.
63. My parents live next-door to my mom’s parents. Our other next-door neighbor is my mom’s sister. All of my mom’s five siblings live within 10 miles of each other. And most of their children’s families do, too.
64. I don’t have a single cousin my age.
65. I was very bossy as a child. The only person who I really liked to play with was my grandpa, because I knew he would do exactly what I wanted him to.
66. When I was about 5, I had a Sesame Street play mat with characters you could place on it, and to “play” with it, I would just place them in the exact same spot every time. It drove my mom crazy because I’d want her to “play” with me.
67. The weird thing is, I did that so often that I still remember where every single character went on the mat.
68. My favorite kind of cereal is honey nut cheerios with bananas sliced in it.
69. I don’t like eating carrots plain (raw or cooked). I’ve tried to like them, but I just can’t.
70. I also don’t like olives.
71. But I’m pretty good at eating everything else.
72. My favorite musicians are Josh Groban and Michael Buble.
73. My fist kiss was on Valentine’s Day when I was 19. With Kent, in his car after a date.
74. We ate apple pie after our first kiss.
75. I have never had my hair permed or dyed. Just highlights.
76. I love ocean beaches. It just makes me so happy.
77. I’m horrible at it, but I love surfing. And when I say horrible I mean really, really bad. But I can see why people leave their lives to become surfer dudes. It’s wonderful.
78. I’ve been scuba diving.
79. I have seen the wettest place on earth, where the average amount of rain is 486 inches a year. That’s forty and a half feet of rain.
80. I have never been on a train.
81. One of my very favorite real-life stories is about my little brother and the ‘magic string.’ I’ll have to tell you the story sometime.
82. Two years ago, I had an owl fly through my window while I was driving and hit me in the head.
83. I found out that it’s really hard to find someone late at night to tell you what to do with an injured owl in the backseat of your car.
84. I’ve also had a tree fall on my car while I was driving.
85. Kent and I met in our student singles ward, at a “sweet swap” apartment meeting on a Sunday night. Singles’ wards really do work.
86. I want to take a ballroom dance class.
87. If I could pick one talent to gain, it would be painting.
88. My favorite temporal possession is the bookcase my Grandpa Murray made for me.
89. I have a hard time remembering exactly what date in December we were married. And it’s only been six months! For some reason, I always want to say it was the 12th.
90. Kent and I were married on December 18, 2007. At least, I think that was the date.
91. I had long hair all my life, then after we got married I cut it shorter, and I like it better.
92. I’m always at least 10 minutes early to Church on Sundays. That’s thanks to my Dad’s training.
93. I’m usually either right on time or a teeny bit late to everything else.
94. I have a 3.958 GPA right now at BYU-Idaho.
95. I spent nine days in a row during the summer of ’06 not getting home until 3 am. My parents trusted the friends I was with, and I didn’t have a curfew since I was out of High School, and we had a ton of fun that week (and didn’t do anything dangerous or unlawful. They really were trustworthy friends).
96. Now, Kent and I go to bed by 10 every night, and I can’t imagine doing something like that again.
97. I don’t have a particular favorite movie, but I am very picky about movies and there aren’t many that I like.
98. I feel so lucky that we have families that love and support us.
99. I have an adorable husband who I can’t say enough good about and who I love with all my heart.
100. I’m grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Fun learning more- and I'm with you, I too can't get in an un-made bed- :}

Creole Wisdom said...

I love these lists. It's so funny to think of how bossy you were, but you are the oldest- and I'm an only child- and only and oldest have a bossy streak ; )

Yep- carrots are ick ick ick. Why do people like them? Ish!

Ya- St. Antonio seems pretty hot, and Idaho cold- hopefully you'll find a good medium!

Glad a singles ward worked for you! Hahah

heidi said...

very fun!

i think you need to work on remembering your wedding date because if, like they say, the man always forgets the anniversary, than you two are in trouble. j/k i'm sure you'll be fine.

Libby said...

Thanks for posting this. It was good to read. It helps us learn more about you. Sorry you have strep. I use to get it alot too. The last time I got it was when Teresa and I went to visit Pam in Idaho (quite an adventure). Hope you feel better soon.

Shannon b said...

*well, off the bat I can say that we have #1 and #3 in common. :)

*oh man, a bossy streak -- although, I have to confess that I know how that goes (I am also the oldest in my family)! But I have to say that I feel for Kent (the middle child) spending his life around women who know what they want! ;) Maybe there should be a "Kent Day" each week to celebrate him for being such a good sport!

Lisa Brown said...

So much fun! It is so much to find out how much we have in common, and yet how unique we all are. It is nice to know that I am not the only person who has to make the bed before I can go to sleep in it. Oh, and I also married my first kiss :).

PS. I have heard that if you get cronic strep, they should remove your tonsils.