Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weekend Adventure # 2

We started off our Friday night with a trip to a little German Deli that I read about online. The reviews were good, and so we decided to try it. Our consensus: Schilo's Delicatessen gets a thumb's up from us! The German food was great, and the prices were surprisingly low. They brew their own rootbeer, and bring it to you in big mugs. Yum! We tried their famous split-pea soup (something I'd never had before), and it was really good. I had to try not to think about how much it reminded me of baby food, though. :D
I ordered Weinerschnitzel after I asked the waitress what exactly Weinerschnitzel is. It's a breaded pork loin that they grill. Another big Yum! And Kent ordered the Potato pancakes, which were pretty good, but we're definitely going back to try some more of their menu. And we have to try their famous cheesecake next time, too. Yeah, definitely going back to Schilo's.

After we ate, we took a walk down the Riverwalk. There were a billion people out (Friday night), and it was sweltering hot (San Antonio in summertime), but I was impressed by how pretty the riverwalk area was, and I'm excited to go back sometime and try out one of the fun restaurants along the river.

We wanted some ice cream, so we stopped at a Ben and Jerry's along the riverwalk, looked at the prices, and walked back out again. We tried Haagen Dazs (whew, that was a tough one to spell!), and they were even more expensive. So, on our way back to the car, we stopped at McDonald's and got ice cream cones. 99 cents each. That's more like it. We were especially grateful for that money-saving decision when we found out we had to pay $10 for the parking garage. Bleh. Well, here's to living in the country's 28th largest city!

On Saturday we made a trip to the San Antonio LDS temple. It's beautiful! It was built in 2005, and it's just a small temple, but I was so impressed by the incredible stained-glass windows and beautiful woodwork.

Saturday night we went to see Kung Fu Panda. It was pretty funny, and Kent laughed until he cried, which made it worth it for me, too. I love it when that boy laughs like that.

Today at church we met a few new friends. Hooray! One couple invited us over for dinner tonight. And we met up with Kent's old roommate and his wife, and we're going to do something with them for next weekend's adventure.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

sounds like you guys are having tons of fun- glad to see that you are enjoying the area- and new friends are always great.

Emily said...

I love reading your blog... always something new- you are good at keeping up on your posts send some of that my way!! so much to do... so little time!! It looks like you guys are having lots of fun I'm so glad that your exploring and having adventures together, there is nothing better than that time alone as a couple... I miss that! it's been awhile since we had a date like I said so much to do so little time!! :) I especially loved your 100 things fun to learn more about you. I'm sorry that you didn't have your mom and dad there for your move... and sorry to tell you but they were a huge help for us... came firday and Saturday and unloaded... your dad's muscles and both of their hardwork really helped. I wasn't there so it was nice to have your mom with a womans touch help the guys!! I don't' know how we would have done it without them! I am so grateful for family... arent' we lucky!! wish we all could have helped you... maybe someday?? that city walk looks like such a fun place happy late birthday and I promise to leave more comments so I don't have to write a novel like this one! love ya!

Creole Wisdom said...

That river walk looks just gorgeous! And I'm sorry about the ice cream prices, I am such a HZ girl- my dad used to work for them so it's all we have in our freezer : )

Libby said...

Looks like you are really enjoying what Texas has to offer. Enjoy these moments, because once you have children, moments like these don't happen to often.

Shannon b said...

oh, so glad you found some new friends at church! And the riverwalk looks beautiful!

heidi said...

i'm glad you get to do some fun things while you are living there, you've been very blessed

Anonymous said...

The river looks like a romantic area to be walking along. Nice to see you are both experiences fun stuff and food...

Lisa Brown said...

I love the riverwalk! If you go back, you'll have to take one of the boat rides down the river.

The Tibbitts said...

Becca,

Can I just say that I think you are amazing? Well, you are. It was so fun to read your post because you turn even little things like ice cream shopping into an adventure story. I love it! Maybe you can help me liven up my posts sometime. It's fun to know you're doing well in Texas. Luv ya, Kayla