Monday, January 28, 2008

We'll Miss Him



Gordon B. Hinckley, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the past 13 years, passed away last night. He was 97 years old. We are very saddened by the loss, but it's great to know that the Church will always move forward. He will always be known for his integrity and optimism, and for the growth the Church saw under his direction. The number of LDS temples worldwide increased from 49 to over 120 during the past thirteen years. I remember when I was little and President Hinckley had just been ordained as President my family had a special family home evening about temples and we had a map where we placed a red dot to represent every temple. There were only 50. And now, with the dedication of the Rexburg temple this Sunday, that number is 125! You can see the list of them at http://www.lds.org/temples/chronological/0,11206,1900-1,00.html.

I was always amazed at President Hinckley's optimism and joyful outlook. For a man who knew more about the situations of the world than most of the rest of us, he also knew without a doubt that this world is only a temporary situation, and there is so much hope in the gospel!

We'll sure miss him. I remember President Hunter (the president before Hinckley) only a little, but most of my life I have known Gordon B. Hinckley as the prophet. My prayers are for the Hinckley family, and also for President Thomas S. Monson, who will now follow President Hinckley and be ordained the next prophet of this church. I'm sure that is an overwhelming feeling! But he will do a great job, too, because that's how this Church works, and because it is surely led by the Lord, not by man.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Very well said- Thanks for posting about that- He will be missed- I loved his humor.