Thursday, January 24, 2008

Nun's Puffs


For breakfast this morning I made Nun's Puffs. The subtitle for the recipe is "No one knows how these were named." The first time I made these, I did it just because I thought the name was so neat.

I love this recipe because it is so simple and quick, and the puffs are light and fluffy (or should I say puffy?) and surprisingly yummy.

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 cup milk

3/4 cup flour

4 eggs

1 tsp sugar


Melt butter in a saucepan, add milk, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and mix in flour all at once, stirring vigorously until the dough forms a soft ball that holds its shape. Cool for five minutes.
Add in eggs one at a time, stirring in completely with a wooden spoon before adding the next egg. Place in well-greased muffin tin, and sprinkle sugar on top of each individual puff. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. (*today I had to bake it at 400 for 20 minutes because we were going to be late for classes. It was okay, but kind of doughy. I guess next time I'll have to get up a little earlier if i want to actually make something for breakfast.)
Serve as individual "puffs" with syrup, jam, honey, fruit, or whatever else you think might be good on them.

3 comments:

Shannon b said...

mmmm, that sounds yummy! And super easy. I'll have to try it sometime.

Teresa said...

me too- Maybe this Sat. thanks- :}

heidi said...

teresa made these this morning while we were there, very good thanks for the recipe