Friday, May 30, 2008

"You have arrived"

We drove FOREVER before we finally heard our GPS say that to us on Tuesday. Never did a computerized woman's voice sound so wonderful... There's not really much to say about our trip, except that it was very, very long. We did, however, have a few surprises along the way; for example, our unexpectedly nice stay in Phoenix (a $39 hotel that was worth much more than that), the dumpy hotel in Ozona, TX that had an island-resort-style pool and hot tub (totally unexpected!), and arriving in San Antonio to find out that our move-in time wasn't actually until 5:00 pm (meaning we had to reschedule our furniture rentals move in and our internet set up. Yeah. Not so cool.)
My husband-turned-driver. I never drove. He says he gets too bored if he's not driving, but from the look on his face, I'm not sure if driving across Arizona and New Mexico is entertaining no matter what seat you're in.



A city named Kent! He said "It must be a city of power and glory." And then we drove past it. I think there was one very glorious gas station and a few awe-inspiring trailer houses.


Windmills! Hundreds of them! Kent said, "You wouldn't want to parachute into that field."

I spent at least an hour reading this delightful cupcake book. I read every recipe. Some twice! And I thought about my new goals for health and exercise. I need to make some cupcakes first, though. This book is adorable. Thanks, Shannon!

An Idaho-shaped peice of peach fruit leather. Cool!

Egg McMuffins. Traveling food. I actually like these. Just not so many times in a row.
Yeah, we didn't expect a hotel room like that to have a pool like that, either. It was too bad our swimsuits were packed so far underneath everything else in our car...

It was a long drive, but we were so blessed to have everything go well for us. Our car ran perfectly, and everything went smoothly. I'm grateful.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

yipee...glad you are there safe and sound. Happy Day :}

Jocelyn said...

hope you enjoy your new adventures in Texas! ps. Cupcakes are always a great idea, anytime anywhere! even if your just reading the recipe!

Lisa Brown said...

Glad you made it safe. I can't believe he drove the whole time - how funny. I love driving on long stretches of road, but always need a break here and there. And that cupcake book sounds so fun!

Libby said...

Glad you made it safely. Enjoy your summer in Texas.

Shannon b said...

those are some pretty fabulous road-trip photos. :) I especially love the Idaho-shaped fruit leather. haha.
Ugh - I can't imagine driving that far. Glad to hear you made it safe & sound and had a few laughs along the way!

pam said...

Enjoy yourself at your new place, and hey Kent are you sure you are driving or playing around with fruit leather or was you dreaming of living here in Idaho.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

You make me smile. I almost want to go on a road trip now.