Monday, May 5, 2014

mommy vacation

Last weekend, I went to Texas.  All by myself.
I learned right away that I'm both more relaxed, yet also more insecure when I travel completely alone, vs. traveling solo with kids.
Something about having children to distract me/give me focus and purpose as I navigate? I couldn't quite figure it out, but I really did feel less confident traveling by myself than I always have when I travel alone with the kids.

While in Texas for a weekend,
I rented the tiniest car I've ever been in.
 Kinda looks like the blueberry, no?
It was surprisingly hard to drive this. I guess I'm used to driving my van.  
It was also strange to adjust to driving again in a state where the speed limit is treated as the limit, instead of something everyone automatically drives at least ten over.
Utah drivers are fast. Texas drivers are slow.  I can't say which is better.


I spent a lot of quiet time alone on this trip.
Once I decided to embrace it, 
I loved it.

I visited many dear friends, met new babies, and re-met many darling children.
Anita and her beautiful kiddos took me to the most darling bakery I've ever seen.  
Bird Bakery

Since I crashed the Foulk's anniversary on Thursday, I got to snuggle this big guy on Friday night while they went out on a date.
 Mmmm, he's so yummy.


 I made dinner on Sunday, butternut black bean enchiladas, one of my favorites.
Saturday night I ventured to the theme park grocery store. (That place is HUGE, guys.  Like a Costco and a Super Walmart mushed together with an Albertsons.)  
I needed to get jalapeños.

Luckily, this was Texas.
 Yep, an entire section just for jalapeños.
I also picked up some Bluebell ice cream while I was there.  Of course.

On Saturday morning, Alli and I gathered some friends and we took a girl's trip to Beorne, a darling little city in Hill Country.  
We went to the farmer's market (top picture) and sampled many jams and jellies, 
we passed on many many other jams and jellies--Texans like their wine and alcohol even more than they like jalapeños, it would seem.
I bought apple butter and almond lotion from some awesome, sweet ladies who make everything from scratch with all ingredients they grow and harvest on their own farms.  So neat.

After the market, we ate an early lunch at a super cute German restaurant, 
then we went shopping.
Well, mostly just window shopping.
 We did notice how interesting it was that none of us bought any of the beautiful things we found at all the shops, until we got to this, the gourmet food market.
Guess that shows what we value most.  

We had way too much fun browsing an antiques shop.
Where I got cozy with these truly terrifying Easter Bunnies.

Mostly, this trip I spent by sleeping in, visiting people I love and miss, staying up too late in Alli's cozy living room talking about pretty much everything, and spending some quality alone time to think, ponder, and set goals for myself.


 My last night there I sat next to this heavenly jasmine bush and took some time to put together and write down all my thoughts over the weekend;
things I want to do for myself, 
what I want to be for my family and friends, and how I want to improve my relationship with my Heavenly Father.  

It was a fantastic trip, and I was so happy to get back to my family.  
The kids had way too much fun at Grandma and Grandpa's (naturally), and in her prayer the night I got back, Ellie said,
"Thank you for us being back at ours house, and please bless that Mommy will leave again."
Always nice to know I'm loved.  

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Wonderful time with friends...Happy for you!

Allison said...

I love it! I'm so glad you came to visit!!

Dallin said...

Glad you had a great trip, Cindy was excited to see you. Sorry I didn't get to say hi.

Creole Wisdom said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Becca. I know what you mean about traveling alone, it can just be nerve wrecking! I love how everything is larger-than-life in Texas, too. I will never forget my first visit to a HEB grocery story. How sweet that you were able to babysit while your friends went out, I am sure they appreciated that! And that notebook idea is fantastic. I love that whenever we reach out to God He reaches right back :)

heidi said...

so much fun! now I desperately want to go visit one of my friends!!!

Mike and Alli said...

Love the photo of the jalapeno aisle... and my jasmine! Yay. So happy you could come. Hope I wasn't too frazzled while you were here. New mommy syndrome can do that to you. But it really was lovely having old pal time. Thanks for coming.

Chandler Family said...

I'm so glad you got quiet time away. Sometimes that is all we need to re-focus and realize our blessings. Love you!