Monday, August 30, 2010

summer's end

Or at least, sort of.
I was driving Kent to work early other morning and I noticed how much cooler it felt outside. It was refreshing, with a nice breeze, and the humidity was way down.
When we got in the car I glanced at the temperature reading on the dashboard and I said,
"Wow, Kent, it's only 90 this morning! It's really cool!"

And then I realized the insanity of that statement.
Apparently I've been living in Texas too long.


Last week we had Nicholas's 12 month check up. He's doing great, but the doctor was a bit concerned; Nicholas's head has grown from the 60th percentile to the 97th in the last three months.

So we had to go and get an ultrasound done on his brain (it was actually pretty cool-since he still has his fontanel soft spot they were able to just do the ultrasound on the soft spot and they could see his whole brain from there).

Nicholas learned to say "no" while were there. Kent and I were holding him down because he needed to hold still (yeah, hold still...he's one year old) and the combination of the new place, scary machines around him, dark room, and strange people was more than he wanted to deal with. While he was sobbing he was saying "no, no, no, no, no!" in the saddest little voice. Just about broke my heart.
But there wasn't anything wrong that they could see. Maybe he just had a growth spurt for his head?
I was more worried about it until Kent was talking to his mom about it and she told him that he too, as well as all his brothers, had big heads as children. And my side of the family has a trend towards big-headedness also.There's nothing wrong with that. My boy is still the most adorable kid there is.


I've been watching our friends' little boy a couple of days a week for the past two weeks while their regular sitter has been out of town.
He's a piece of cake to watch, very mellow and low-maintenance, and by the end of the day this is what my house looks like.
We sure have a lot of fun!

6 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

I sure hope the last picture isn't trying to illustrate that your house gets messy!

And your zinnias are pretty as ever.

Becca and Kent said...

Mariley,
No, I was just showing how much fun the little guys are having with all the toys-I know what real mess is, and this isn't it. :D

Lisa Brown said...

I totally had to laugh at your comment about the temperature :). When we were in Georgia, there were a times I put on jeans and a long sleeve shirt because I was freezing, only to discover it was 80 degrees. Isn't it funny how your body adjusts?

Cindy said...

I love your comment about weather too. I have also thought it was cooler and told my mom one morning that it was only 87 at 9:30a! The last picture is too cute. I don't know about Nicholas but for some reason Jayden doesn't know how to play without getting toys everywhere! Thanks again for watching him.

The Tibbitts said...

I think his "growth spurt" just shows he is going to be really smart. I've decided that part of what it means to be a mom is that the house is really only completely clean when the children go to bed, and I'm okay with that. :)

Libby said...

Sorry to hear he had to go through that. Glad to hear everything is ok. Love his smile.