Friday, August 20, 2010

hilarity

Last night we had tickets to see Brian Regan.

At about 4:00 I was in the kitchen, Nicholas on my hip. I looked at the clock and realized I hadn't yet started dinner, and when you're planning on making something in the crockpot, you have to start early.
"oh shoot!" I said.
"shoot," said Nicholas. "shoot shoot shoot."
Oops. My little parrot has learned a new word.

I reached down to grab the crockpot out of the drawer, set it on the counter (with one hand, mind you) and then turned to grab the chicken out of the freezer.
The drawer was still open. My knee connected with the corner of it.
"ouch!" I said.
"ouch," said Nicholas. "ouch. shoot. ouch. shoot."
Lovely.

Dinner was stewing, I was laying on the living room floor, and Nicholas was pushing his wheely bee (birthday present) around me when Kent got home from work.
He joined us and we made a happy little family pile on the living room floor, tickling and playing.

Then, the crockpot lid exploded with a bang that first made us wonder if the walls were falling.
Should I grab the baby and evacuate the house?
I didn't know a crockpot lid would do that.
Glass shards in the salsa chicken.

We had scrambled eggs for dinner before we rushed out the door to drop Nicholas off at our friends' house.

Brian Regan was awesome. Or, more descriptively, watching Kent doubled over in laughter, wiping tears from his eyes was awesome.

5 comments:

heidi said...

sounds like brian regan was great! and holy cow the crock pot lid, i've never heard of that either.

The Tibbitts said...

Why did it explode? I hope mine never does that. Anyway, we are very jealous that you got to see Brian Reagan live-sounds amazing. I also love that Nicholas is learning new words, ones that he will use all the time. :)

Libby said...

Little ones do pick up on things very quickly. Glad you had a good evening out. Sorry about the crockpot lid. I've never heard of that.

Lisa Brown said...

I have totally had days like that :). I am glad you still got to go out and have fun afterwards. And even though we have to watch what we say, I have always loved the parrot stage - so much fun!

Mike and Alli said...

Whoa, that is crazy about the crock pot lid! I didn't know it could do that either. Glad you had fun at Brian Regan!