Monday, April 12, 2010

spring break top ten

In no particular order,
a list of some of my favorite things from my family's visit.

1. Oh the silliness.
From Nathan's "Good luck and good riddance" song he made up on the river,
to Jonah's mistaking Motab's "There is sunshine in my soul today" as "I was not such an imbecile today,"
to our invented game of Hangman the Third,
the silliness had no end this week. So much fun.

2. Sea World

Very fun. The best part-Kent and I bought passes to get in all year.
We will definitely be going back, especially to the water park when it gets hot this summer.

3. Touring our own town

We saw the missions,
the Alamo,
the Riverwalk,
and all the other little things we hadn't gotten to on our own yet.
4. San Antonio Springtime
The weather was absolutely perfect, and my family
was very happy to escape the late snow that Utah was getting.

5. My happy little baby.
Nicholas was such a trooper, whether it was
nursing in the car, napping in the stroller, enduring the sun and heat,
or being tickled (again and again) by his uncles.

6. Toobing the Comal

I've mentioned before that this is my all-time favorite activity to do here.
So naturally, we had to take my family.

And of course, we had to start off the day with donuts.
It's tradition.
It was a bit windy and only in the 70's, but the water was perfect and we pretty much had the river all to ourselves.
Nathan sang and sang (as I said before), I got stuck for a time with one leg in and one leg out of my tube, we battled the current to get out and do the tube chutes over and over again, and
Kent thoroughly enjoyed swimming all around under the water pretending to be a shark.

Awesome.

We bought our own tubes this time, so now we can do it again whenever we want.

7. Conference and Easter
Having my family here, all of us sprawled out in our living room,
most of us often distracted by Nicholas,
eating our traditional carmel apple dip... just wonderful.
I especially liked how so many of the talks focused on families and teaching your children. It was an inspiring weekend, and I loved every minute of it!

8. The food
Oh man, the food.
I must have my family come more often.

9. The help
They helped us clear out our front yard-tilled up the grass, tore out the bushes.
They weeded our back yard, which was quite the chore.
We hand scrubbed my front porch.
And the best part was having free and more-than-willing babysitters around the clock.

Now we just need them to come back so we can landscape our front yard before the homeowner's association sends us another "courtesy notice."

10. Just being together.
Ahh. I know, cheesy.

But really, it was the best part of the whole week.
Getting to have my family here means so much more now that we have Nicholas.
I love him and think he's just the cutest thing ever, and I want to share him with my family.

8 comments:

Libby said...

Looks like you guys had lots of fun. Water activities in April. Texas must have some great weather. Better than CA. Looks like you had lots of helping hands too.

Bree said...

Only in the 70's huh? Come to Rexburg where it's only in the 30's-40's. :) Sounds like you had a great week with the family. Families are wonderful.

Jocelyn said...

Okay I totally think Nicholas has Kent's eyes too cute. you are so lucky to have had your family for a visit. I can;t wait for my next visit out to Utah to see my fam!

Lisa Brown said...

It sounds like you had a fablulous time with your family! And I love Sea World :). I have been to all 3 of the parks (San Diego and Orlando), and I actually like the one in San Antonio the best. This post really made me miss Texas.

Teresa said...

Looks like from all the happy faces in all the pictures of your family that a great time was had. Those pictures will be great memories for Nicholas to look back on someday.

Anonymous said...

Fun pics! Your family is so great! Looks like you all had a wonderful time together!

heidi said...

looks like everyone had a good time!

magunn said...

Oh fun! I don't think I realized you lived in Texas . . . wow what an adventure! I just feel like this is the perfect time to be gone, to grow into your own little family a bit more. I hope to be closer once Mac gets older so he can grow up around cousins and grandparents, but I love our little adventure out here now. Plus doesn't it make seeing your family SOOOO magnificent? Looks like it definitely was!