Wednesday, July 15, 2009

illumination

My parents have a motto of sorts.
It came from the winter they finished our basement. On their own.
"How long could it take?"

We've been replacing light fixtures. This house could have won an award for the ugliest lights.

But replacing them takes a lot more work than we had counted on.
Between countless trips to Lowes to get the right parts, removing electrical boxes, installing new ones, and sawing through unidentified metal beams... well, let's just say I'm SO glad I married a man who doesn't swear.

The bedroom paint is still on our list. Hopefully this week we'll get to it. All of our other projects are taking so much longer than we'd planned on.
How long can it take, really?



Somehow, though, all the hard work makes the finished projects so much more satisfying.
Illuminating.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Love them! It looks great. Our ladder is becoming famous through all your photography...haha. Glad you finally got them up

Lisa Brown said...

They look great - definitely seems worth the effort you guys had to put forth.

The Tibbitts said...

Lookin' good. The finished product will be wonderful--just in time for a new project--baby! :)

Teresa said...

Wonderful new lights =) love them way to work it out!

But something keeps coming to my mind- something that Kent told us over and over again- and I quote "Why do I need to learn how to do this- I'm just going to pay someone to put it in for me." {From the summer Dad taught Kent to install a ceiling fan =) sorry Kent- love what you are doing to your home- =)

heidi said...

congrats it's looking so great. & seriously the countless trips to Lowe's I can relate to, it did get old! but the benefits are rewarding!

Megan said...

I love the track lights in the kitchen! Your house will be amazing when you're done and a project you did together, the best kind!! Makes it more you than just a house you moved into. :) I hope you're great!

Jess said...

Looking great! I especially love the kitchen lights.

Libby said...

Hang in there. Some how some way it will get done and you will look back on all of it and be proud of your accomplishments.