Monday, October 20, 2008

on reading Poe

My reading assignment tonight for one of my three English classes this semester was Edgar Allen Poe. I like to try to get my homework done while Kent is still at work, which requires a lot of motivation on my part to avoid the TV, blog world, and even the housework (which is at times more appealing than my homework).

I was mildly successful tonight, and I was sitting here at the kitchen table reading "A Tell-tale Heart" and "The Fall of the House of Usher." It was getting dark in my apartment as the sun went down, and it was very, very quiet with Kent gone. It's always windy here, and I could hear the wind howling around the building. And I realized these stories were perfect for Halloween. I was getting a little creeped out. Which, if you know me at all, is easy to do.

And then, when it was time for me to go pick Kent up from work I put on my shoes, turned off the lights, and opened the door to find a perfectly white pigeon sitting right on my doorstep between my two pumpkins.

A white pigeon! I have never even seen a normal pigeon in my four years in Rexburg, let along a white one. It didn't move at all; it just sat there on my doorstep, staring up at me. I have no idea what it was doing there. I guess I should have looked for a note or something attatched to it's foot. And instantly, I began to wonder what kind of omen Edgar Allen Poe would say this white bird was. At least it wasn't black and it didn't say "nevermore." But it sure startled me anyway.



Update: I just got a call from our next door neighbors wondering if we knew that there is a white pigeon hanging out in front of our door. Um, yeah. It's still there, almost four hours after I first saw it. What am I supposed do with a lost white pigeon?

5 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

So it totally looks like it is guarding your door - and since it is white, possibly guarding you from bad things? That is crazy! Maybe there was a warm draft coming from under your front door and he was trying not to freeze in the cold weather ?

Shannon b said...

oh how sad! I wonder if it's one of those homing pigeons that they release at fancy weddings and it just never found it's way back. Or maybe those are doves . . .

Either way, what a cool, weird thing to find on your doorstep of all places.

Teresa said...

That is sad, and a little strange- does it look hurt? Maybe she has a nest close by.

heidi said...

ha that kinda crazy. i hate it when birds just sit there and don't move out of the way. it doesn't happen often but when it does i'm wondering if it's hurt or whatever. anyway, very crazy!

Creole Wisdom said...

I love it. How beautiful!!! Really! I'd just feed it, and saying nice things to it, maybe name him/her