Sunday, October 12, 2008

"I'm dreaming"... Bing Crosby and Gingersnaps

It's snowing here. And it makes me want to listen to Bing Crosby. And bake things. And pretty much do anything that isn't homework.

On Friday we went to Wingers with Amy, Jake, and Denver. It was there that I learned about my husband's all time favorite cookies. I had no idea that I had married a lover of gingersnaps. Apparently it is a family thing, and all the Andersen boys absolutely love this particular recipe of gingersnaps.

Because I was cold and the house seemed so cozy and I was even wearing socks (I hate socks) to fight off the cold yesterday, I stopped doing my mountains of homework long enough to make Kent some gingersnaps. They are good! But they have so much ginger in them, that as Kent said, "If you eat ten or eleven of them your throat kinda goes numb." They definitely are the spiciest cookies I've ever eaten. But they were good, and warm, and now I'm going to listen to "White Christmas." It won't matter if we skip Halloween, right?

9 comments:

Teresa said...

Snowing- holy cow, already?!
yes, my men love gingersnaps- and they like them hot- how fun that you all got to go out together-

heidi said...

yes, gingersnaps is a family thing. sam's fav too. it's a good thing for me because I only want one and no more, never was a big fan

Megan said...

Becca you are so darling cute!! Good job putting off homework for what really matters, Gingersnaps and your husband!! :) I'm glad you had fun doing it!

Lisa Brown said...

How is it snowing everywhere while we still have 80 degree weather? It is only October, right? He he! How sweet of you to make him his cookies. Once I picked a recipe for some muffins out of a family cookbook only to find that they were Kevin's favorite - pure luck :).

Shannon b said...

ah, yes . . . the spicy gingersnap cookies! They are definitely a family favorite. I've made them several times as holiday gifts for friends, but I have to tone down the ginger. :)

Enjoy your winter wonderland!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for going to dinner with us! Just so you know...when I got off the plane today it was 72 degrees. Quite the contrast to the 27 degrees that I left this morning in Rexburg! =) I am glad you were able to make the ginger snaps. They are the Andersen Family Favorite!

marilyn said...

Yep, a family favorite. I remember Ed telling me to double the ginger and 1/2 the cooking time. They like them hot and soft. I don't know where this started. It must have been with Grandpa Rene'. If he couldn't get the homemade kind he would dip store bought into milk. Definitely not as good. Can't you just smell the ginger right now! We had snow too in Orem.

Creole Wisdom said...

Can you pass along the recipe, please? I'd love it! : )

Murray Ohana said...

We heard you are coming to Kauai before Christmas...so at least you'll get to warm up a little then. What are your plans for your trip? Do you need help with anything? Where will you be staying? I know it will be a romantic anniversary trip, but we'd love to see you while you're here...even for a minute.