Thursday, March 20, 2008

Acquiring Knowledge!

I was trying to come up with something to blog today, and I realized that there is a whole lot of information running through my mind. Some facts are from class lectures, some from essays I'm writing, some from books I have to read, projects I'm working on, and some are just because they are there. So here are 10 things that have gone through my head today as I acquire knowledge.

1. William Wordsworth’s contemporary, Samuel Coleridge, outlined one of Wordsworth’s strengths as “the perfect truth of nature in his images and descriptions as taken immediately from nature, [prove] a long and genial intimacy with the very spirit which gives the physiognomic expression to all the works of nature” (from my humungous research essay I mentioned a few posts ago...yep, still working on it)

2. "In the mean time I worked on, and my labour was already considerably advanced. I looked towards its completion with a tremulous and eager hope, which I dared not trust myself to question, but which was intermixed with obscure forebodings of evil, that made my heart sicken in my bosom" (Mary Shelley Frankenstein, Volume III, chapter II).


              3.Raphael's fresco, School of Athens, is painted in a radial pattern of arrangement.


                4. A goldfish, if kept in the dark for long enough, will turn white. (I read that in a magazine, and I tend to hold on to silly facts forever)

                  5. "The Vitalist Debate”: Pitted “materialism” (life stems from biological sources only) versus “vitalism” (life stems from a higher, extra-biological source). Publicly staged debate held at London’s Royal College of Surgeons. Senior surgeon, John Abernathy, lectured in 1814 on the mysterious “superadded” force, a “subtile, mobile, invisible substance” that animated humans.


                  6. Michealangelo's David statue is in what pattern of arrangement? Answer: a) Vertical.


                      7. On average, women blink 10 times more often than men. (refer to explanation on number 4)


                        8. A horizontally-arranged painting or photo has a strong line going across the page, and usually follows the rule of thirds, with the horizon on either the first third or top third of the image. (Kent and I had a humanities test today...can you tell?)


                        9. "To Helga Crane it was the realization of a dream that she had dreamed persistently ever since she was old enough to remember such vague things as day-dreams and longings. She liked it, this new life. For a time it blotted from her mind all else. She took to luxury as the proverbial duck to water. And she took admiration and attention even more eagerly" (Nella Larsen, Quicksand, Chapter 13).


                        10. The Reading Tutoring Center (where I work as a tutor) has a secret stash of candy. It's in the top drawer on the left side of Sister Engstrom's desk.


                        I have realized that there is always something to learn every day, even when we're not going to school for hours and hours. Some learning is forgotten quickly (as I'm walking out of the testing center), and some sticks around, and sometimes learning changes the way you view the world or your life. What have you learned today?

                        4 comments:

                        Anonymous said...

                        I just read the goldfish thing recently too! How weird. I wonder if we read the same magazine? :)

                        heidi said...

                        so, as i read through that I was thinking "man, it's been a long time since i learned things like that"

                        today, i honestly don't know what i've learned new. but the other day i learned a new hymn on my flute how about that, does that work?

                        Teresa said...

                        The FPPK Fire Pit must be disconnected for presure testing for systems over 1/2 psi.
                        Cool Huh....
                        We or I should say Dan has been working on our fire pit for sometime- I think it is a go today :} Oh and one more thing I've learned through this process.
                        If Lava rock is wet, allow fire pit to burn for 30 minutes prior to coming 15 feet within fire pit. :}

                        Lisa Brown said...

                        I just learned why piggy banks exhist :). It was pretty interesting.