Wednesday, October 8, 2014

the good news

The weekend after we got back from Hawaii, Kent and I told the kids about the new baby.
I waited a while to tell them,
both because I knew it would be too hard on them if something happened early on,
and also because these two are really easily excitable.
The ten days leading up to Nicholas's birthday were insanity. Their wild anticipation just about drove them (and us!) bonkers.

I knew that whenever we decided to tell them, it was going to be a long, long wait until the baby actually arrives.

I contemplated not telling them until March when I was on my way to the hospital,
but realized that was unrealistic. Ha.

And now that they know, I'm actually really glad we told them. These kids? They're excited in the most adorable way.

Nicholas talks about the new baby frequently, making surprising observations.
"When the baby comes, we'll have to be sure not to turn on this (crazy loud and obnoxious) robot toy. It might scare the baby."
"When the baby is in the car with us and we drive Daddy to work, the baby will probably sleep the whole way!"
"When the baby is here we'll have to be very soft and gentle with him or her."
And my favorite, upon his finding a single diaper in the gift we gave them to tell them the big news: "I think we're going to need more than just one diaper...."

Ellie is to-die-for sweet about the whole thing, kissing my belly and telling me that the baby is so cute as she rubs my growing bump. She tells everyone we meet that "we're getting a baby in our family!" and she asks me several times a day if the baby is still in my tummy. She's obsessed with trying to understand how big the baby is, and I'm kinda thinking she's confused, because she recently told a friend that when the baby is born it's going to be the size of an apple...

Our close friends had a new baby girl a couple of weeks ago, and we got to meet the darling tiny (just over 5 lbs!) beauty last week.
Ellie was in heaven. 
She held little Cosette for the longest time, talking softly and sweetly to her, and then after that she sat next to me while I held the baby, 
gently stroking her fingers, telling me all about how tiny the baby's hands were, how cute her toes were, how little her nose was, how pink her bow was, etc.
Ellie is going to be the best big sister, and I'm just so excited!

We find out tomorrow (! How am I so far along already?!?) if this baby of ours is a boy or a girl.  Either way, the kids have already given us some stellar name ideas:

Challenger
Pacho
Johnson
Girl-O
Joey
Bill

While I'm grateful for the suggestions, I have been careful to make it clear that in the end, it's Mommy and Daddy's job to name the new baby. 

3 comments:

Teresa said...

They are adorable!...You could have twins and then each of them would have someone to hold...twins run in the family. =)
Can't wait to here what you are having!
Happy Day

Teresa said...

"hear"

Chandler Family said...

How fun! I remember this with my two older kids, announcing the baby. They adored Carter when he was born and still do. Rachel calls him "boo boo" and is always gentle and nurturing and he is almost 1 year old. I can't believe you go tomorrow to find out! YEAH! You better post it on here, I will check tomorrow. Also, to note (but not in anyway suggesting you do this) we went over and over names aloud in normal conversation with each other while I was pregnant. In the end it was Dayton who named him. He simply overheard us mention Carter in our long list and started calling my belly that. With no explanation really, it's as if he KNEW from heaven that was to be his name. For the longest time we laughed about it and told him "Mommy and Daddy get to choose the baby's name." He still called my tummy Carter and one day it just hit me, that was to be his name so I had better start listening. I LOVED Maxwell but of course we couldn't agree. To be honest it ended up being the single name Adam and I agreed on. I believe children are closer to heaven than we understand. If we would have listened to D in the first place it would have saved us many disagreements and late nights. Ha! That being said, I wouldn't go with Baby-O. ;) Love keeping up with you!