Tuesday, March 8, 2011

discovery

Yesterday Nicholas discovered the joys of rocks.
Mom discovered what happens when you give a toddler a green marker, 
even with explicit instructions to color "only on the cardboard box house"
very, very quickly he was drawing on his belly, his fingers, and his toes,
counting them as he colored
"one two toes. one two toes. one two toes."

We had some new friends over for dinner on Sunday. They have a beautiful little girl just a few months older than Nicholas.
Talking about our children made for natural conversation, and something my friend said has stuck with me.
"My daughter, well, she's my best friend and I don't know what to do when she's not with me."

For all the challenges of being a mother,
all the fears and concerns and frustrations,
I wholeheartedly agree with her.
Nicholas has changed my life.  I know I've said it before, but it's true.

He is my best little buddy and I do not know what I'd do without him here by my side every day,
coloring on himself and gathering rocks.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Love his little bod.....sweet

heidi said...

what a cutie, I wish I could hear him say "one two toes". I'll bet it's so cute!

Savanah said...

Oh how fun, rocks were Kyle's best friend all last summer. What a sweet boy!

Lisa Brown said...

I have a picture of Lily about that age with a completely purple stomach. Ahh, markers and toddlers :).