Sunday, March 14, 2010

medina lake

We drove out to Medina Lake for a Sunday afternoon picnic.
Yes, the water was a bit cold.
But I just couldn't resist the classic "baby crying with toes in a lake" picture.
We all have one of those,
at least I know I do.
Good thing Nicholas has Daddy to calm him down after being so wrongfully dipped in a cold lake.

And it wasn't that cold, really.
Kent always tells Nicholas that he is
"the cutest and the smartest"
and today he amended that with
"but not exactly the toughest."

We had a delightful picnic,
complete with sandwiches and fruit and graham crackers with frosting-
those are the best, especially when they get a little bit warm
and soft. Mmm.

We also enjoyed the blend of country music and the mexican radio
playing from trucks on both sides of us,
seeing some of Texas' famous Hill Country,
and burning a hole through our picnic blanket
because Kent sat on a hot coal.

(We were unaware of the still-smouldering coal beneath the blanket
until Kent sat on it and noticed a peculiar warmth
that just got warmer and warmer.)

We stopped on the way home for a nursing break,
and took an "everybody close your eyes!" picture.
Perfect.

7 comments:

anitawarnick.com said...

oh goodness, I LOVE that last picture. I can't wait to see little Nicholas. Did you cut your hair? It looks very cute!

Dallin said...

Now you can say that you really have burned a hole through your pocket. Glad you had a great time.

heidi said...

i remember making Carlee cry because I wanted her to put her toes in the water at the beach when we lived in Florida, it was cute!
he's always so cute in his pictures, especially when he's got his big smile!

The Tibbitts said...

What a fun day! Your pictures are super cute.

Teresa said...

Cute picture...glad you were able to have a fun Sunday afternoon.

Lisa Brown said...

Sounds like a perfect day - even with the coal burning incident :). And what a beautiful lake!

PS. Seeing you in your flipflops reminded me that you are now in a climate where you get to wear them almost year round - I have to say I am jealous, as NC has turned out to be much colder than Georgia was :). I thought I would pass on info about my favorite kind - so comfy, they are like wearing tennis shoes. They are called Fit Flops, and although they are a little pricy, I wore them so much they were completely worth the money. You can get them online at Bath and Body Works and a few other sites.

Mike and Alli said...

Yay! I am glad you enjoyed your trip! Looks like the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Aren't you glad we can do that now that we have church in the morning? Sigh. I am.