Saturday, June 27, 2009

ninety-seven cents

We bought a house yesterday.
It all seems pretty surreal.
The weirdest part was driving into the garage for the first time. I think that's because you never drive into the garage when you are visiting someone else's house.

Yep, this house is ours.
Kent carried me (and our baby) across the threshold.

I have a crepe myrtle tree in the backyard. I gave it plenty of water yesterday because it was starting to wilt a little.
There was something unbelievably fulfilling about watering my own tree with my own hose in my own backyard.

At the title company yesterday we signed all of our papers (overwhelming!) and then we went to Wells Fargo to get a cashier's check for our down payment. The biggest check we'd EVER seen.
We returned to the title company and gave them the check.

The lady looked at the check and then she said,
"I'm sorry, I can't give you your house keys. You're ninety-seven cents short."

So we went to the car, dug through our spare change and my purse, and returned to the desk with a handful of quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. To purchase our home with.
In the perspective of the $122,000 we just paid (and borrowed) for a house, that $0.97 seemed really, really funny.

So I took a picture.

The moral of the story is:
Always keep spare change in your car. You never know when you'll need it to buy a house.

10 comments:

Teresa said...

Love it- stories like that are what real life is all about- I'm so happy and excited that you are in your first home- Way Happy Day!

Nancy said...

That is so funny!! Congrats new home owners!!!

Shannon b said...

so funny! That will be a great story to always remember. :) Yay for a new house!

marilyn said...

Congratulations! 97 cents short can be a lesson for many things. Aren't your grateful you had it! It would have been a different story if you could not find it. It reminds me that I always want to be prepared and never fall short of whatever great blessings are in store for me. Thanks for your real life story.

Chandler Family said...

Congrats on the new home! That is so great and what a memorable story. I can't believe you got a house for 122 that is DANG GOOD! Well, unless that was your down payment, (I might have read your post wrong) Well if it is the down payment then WAY TO GO THAT IS AWESOME TOO! Have so much fun creating memories in that home.

Libby said...

Congratulations. You never know when that spare change will come in handy. I keep some in my car too. Good luck unpacking and settling in.

heidi said...

glad you had 97 cents. congrats. can't wait to see pictures.

Jocelyn said...

How exciting! congrats! and just in time for the baby!

Jess said...

Oh man! This is a lesson I will need to remember. :) You two are so great.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

That will be a story you will tell your kids! Congratulations!