Wednesday, June 10, 2009

compromise

is sometimes hard to find.

We've been spending nearly every spare moment of the past two weeks looking at things we want for the house. Light fixtures, paint colors, decor options, even furniture. And for all of these, three things have to come into harmony.
1. Me
2. Kent
3. Our Budget

Here's what we're up against--

I like:
Big, open rooms, light colors, bright kitchens, white furniture, natural wood, blues, greens, yellows, beadboard or white paneling, a sort of whimsical-retro-beachy-cottage feel.



Kent likes:
Multiple living areas, curtains and blinds, muted light, granite, espresso or black furniture, reds, browns, white trim, a craftsman-traditional style.


Our budget likes:
Almost none of the above. This style:



Let's just say we're working on it.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Isn't it fun =) Danny never voiced an opinion, until about five years ago-{he always said just do what you like, you're the one cleaning it =) and now I'm like what...you have an opinion? I always did it my way- now I'm having to work around his likes. I usually do try to find things I know he will like. And sometimes I will find a couple things I like and then asked which one do you what? and he's usually pretty happy doing it that way.
Good luck finding what works best for you guys.
{Sorry for the long comment.}

Lisa Brown said...

Oh, I totally could decorate a house with you - I love that same sort of look as you :). Especially the beadboard and the cottage feel. Someday I might actually get to decorate like it too . . . Those budgets sure get in the way sometime - he he!

Libby said...

Good luck. John doesn't say much so I just do what I like. When I ask for his opinion he always says "I don't know" (that frustrates me, because it's like what kind of help are you?). We are often left dealing with what our budget can handle, which isn't much. Keep it nice and simple. Your styles will change over time.

The Tibbitts said...

That does sound like a frustrating struggle, but a fun one too. I just think it is so exciting that you are actually getting to decorate a HOUSE, your very own house. When you find the perfect something, I am sure you will both agree on it (don't know about the budget, but we'll hope). Good luck!

Shannon b said...

haha - cute post.
Ahhh, compromise . . . a daily, life-long challenge. :)
If I really really want to do something in the house, and Scott doesn't care for it, then I just have to take care of it by myself. If I want his help, he has to like it too. So that's definitely something I have to consider when I'm deciding how ambitious I want to be.
Good luck!

Creole Wisdom said...

Well hang in there! Have you thought of looking at older homes? They have lots of charm, character, and great "lines." I grew up in older houses, so I am partial, yes I know they often need work, but it might give you the "style" you admire.

Either way- paint and a little bit of fabric always goes a LONG way!

heidi said...

lol!! i love it!