Wednesday, June 17, 2009

keeping cool

San Antonio is hot. Really hot.
During May I was thinking that maybe I had just remembered it from last summer as being worse than it had been. May was quite tolerable, sometimes even nice.
But then June came. And I remembered.

It's hot in San Antonio.

Luckily, we've found a few ways to keep cool:

Going "toobing" down the Comal River. We went on Saturday morning (you HAVE to go early before the crowds come with their beer coolers).
Truthfully, toobing the Comal river is my favorite thing about living in this place. Kent probably got tired of me saying how much fun I think the river is.
But when something makes me so happy, I just can't keep it inside. On Saturday night we went to Dallin and Cindy's to "roast marshmallows and eat ice cream." When they called to ask if we'd bring a bag of ice, I almost didn't even dare to hope that meant they were making homemade ice cream.
They were! And we ate it!
And then, they even gave us their old ice cream machine! Oh joy! So of course, our Family Home Evening activity on Monday was making homemade strawberry ice cream. Right here in our dining room.


The recipe I found online was from the early 1900's, and it directed that you heat the strawberries and sugar until boiling, then "remove from the fire and let cool."
Kent was a little bit anxious about us messing up the recipe--I don't always exactly follow recipes, but it turned out absolutely delicious, even without boiling over the fire.

8 comments:

heidi said...

the ice cream sounds yummy & the tubing looks like a ton of fun!

Jess said...

Becca, you look so beautiful! Motherhood becomes you. :)

Jess said...

Hmmm... Lest my words be taken the wrong way... Besides your beautiful face, you just radiate happiness. This is so beautiful.

Teresa said...

Oh man, it's been forever since I've eaten homemade ice-cream.
totally jealous =)
and you do look adorable =)
I don't think I ever was that tiny pg

Libby said...

Looks yummy. I have a recipe for strawberry icecream and you don't have to boil it. I will send it to you. It's very good too.

Dallin said...

Glad you guys enjoyed the ice cream maker. We need to have a churn off one of these days and get multiple flavors going. Gotta love homemade ice cream. I noticed that you added chocolate chips, looks good!

Lisa Brown said...

Yes, there are some places where you just have to endure the summer (Savannah was that way) - AC, the beach, and swimming pools were my favorite, but tubing down the river sownda wonderful! And as for me, I would rather endure a few months of summer, than a few months of winter :).

PS. Now I want to go buy an ice-cream maker - yum!!

The Tibbitts said...

Oh, I love homemade strawberry ice cream! I am a little jealous--not of the heat, but of the ice cream. Glad you are finding fun ways to keep cool.