Monday, January 12, 2009

give

D&C 82:3 "For of him unto whom much is given much is required"


Following the example of Shannon, I have decided to come up with my own one little word for 2009. My word is GIVE.

I want to give more, and expect less.


From President Thomas S. Monson's talk Find Joy in the Journey:

"Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of “what if” and “if only.” Said author Harriet Beecher Stowe, 'The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.'

"Said the Lord in a revelation given through the Prophet Joseph Smith, “In nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things.” May we be found among those who give our thanks to our Heavenly Father. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues."

As a family, Kent and I have been very, very blessed. This year I want to focus on giving. I hope to give warmth, give love, give good food, give thanks, give friendship, give time, and ultimately, I hope to end this year knowing that I have learned how to give myself.

8 comments:

Teresa said...

Great word to choose- and wonderful goals that you set.
Giving and graditute is one of the most important things we can learn here on earth.

Jess said...

Becca! You are so great. I'm glad you found my blog, so I could find yours! I really like your idea of giving--you are such a great example to me.

And yes, Michael is amazingly wonderful. :) I'll call you when I have some time to talk! It will most likely be a weekend...possibly Sunday. I look forward to it! Have a great week!

The Tibbitts said...

Becca, you are an angel. I think you are on the right track to doing/giving all of those things. The dinner you brought us was fabulous and you were the best baby-sitter ever. Thank you so much for coming and spending time with Luke and me. I loved it! Come see us again soon. -Kayla

pam said...

A great Word something we all need to remember.

Anonymous said...

Poped in to see what you are up to - I love what you picked as your word.. Give.. and ideas that come with it!

Shannon b said...

that is a GREAT word! And I like how you put it "give more and expect less." Love it!

Jason, Sara, Claire, Grant and Miles said...

Becca,
that was just what i needed to read today.... love that quote! Thank you for an excellent idea as well - keep em' coming!

Creole Wisdom said...

I LOVE this. I need to be more giving, more thankful, man I have work to do on myself! : /