Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Soda Cracker Toffee

I've started my health goals again. I had five eating healthy goals all summer, and they were tough, but so good for me. Moving up here, though, I kind of gave up on them for a while. But now, I'm back again. Five servings of fruits or vegetables per day, portion control, not eating after a set time each night, eight glasses of water each day, and only eating one sugary treat per day. I know some people can cut sugar from their diet entirely, but I've got things like Soda Cracker Toffee that I just can't stay away from.

To make this incredibly easy treat, start by placing a single layer of saltine crackers on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 425. In a saucepan, bring one cup brown sugar and one cup butter to boil and let boil for three minutes. Pour this directly over the crackers and place baking sheet in the oven for only 3 to 5 minutes. The crackers will begin to sort of "float" over the mixture. Be careful, because this can burn really fast, and the sugar will get grainy and bleh.

Let the crackers cool for a while, then spread with melted chocolate chips. Place in the freezer until it hardens, then break apart and eat!

8 comments:

heidi said...

yum! that sounds good! good luck with your goals, you'll do great

Teresa said...

When I have a normal kitchen again, I will be making those.
Great goals, wish I was that good-

Shannon b said...

we also started some healthy goals last week. I also agree that you can't cut out sweets entirely. One a day can do the job. :) Keep up the good work!

Emily said...

I love those little toffee crackers... haven't made them in a long time but I may have to now that I was reminded about them! thanks a lot... I'm finding that each time I check your blog I get hungry?? this is not a good thing Becca because I too am trying to stick to the healthy eating thing. starting out a pregnancy overweight is the pits... no eating for two this time!!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Great goals. Those are a perfect little treats.

Anonymous said...

Hey I've made those before..and they are really yummy,,but had forgotten.. thanks for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

Hey I've made those before..and they are really yummy,,but had forgotten.. thanks for reminding me!

Creole Wisdom said...

Those are really good goals. You inspire me! I drink a lot of herbal tea, so I've got water down... but veggies and fruit. ee! I could use some work.

I am glad you aren't crazy and cutting out one of the greatest joys (sugar) of life out of YOUR life ; )