Monday, January 10, 2011

maybe I should post this in 11 months

I'm not sure any of us are going to be making this anytime soon.  I don't know about you, but all I want to eat right now is light, good-for-you stuff. We just got back from the grocery store, 
and it was one of those fun trips where I loaded everything onto the counter and smiled at how healthy everything looked.  Fresh fruits and veggies, whole grain bread, V8 juice, eggs, milk, 
and a box of Ghirardelli brownie mix.  For balance, you know.

Anyway, maybe some of us still have a handful of candy canes we want to use up.  Or maybe I'll just have to repost this again in December.
But since you asked, here's the recipe for our Christmas Eve dessert:

Chocolate-Peppermint Striped Delight
45 vanilla wafers, finely crushed (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/4 cup  butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 pkg.  (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
3 cups plus 2 Tbsp. cold milk, divided
1/4 cup  finely crushed candy canes
1 tub (12 oz.) cool whip, thawed, divided
2 pkg.  Chocolate Instant Pudding
1/4 cup coarsely crushed candy canes

MIX wafer crumbs, butter and 2 Tbsp. sugar; press onto bottom of 13x9-inch dish. Refrigerate until ready to use.
BEAT cream cheese, remaining sugar and 2 Tbsp. milk in medium bowl until well blended. Stir in finely crushed candy canes. Add 1-1/4 cups cool whip; mix well. Spread over crust.
BEAT pudding mixes and remaining milk with whisk 2 min.; pour over cream cheese layer. Let stand 5 min. or until thickened. Cover with remaining cool whip.
REFRIGERATE 4 hours. Top with coarsely crushed candy canes just before serving.

2 comments:

Shannon b said...

looks and sounds delicious! I'm with you. I was at the grocery store yesterday and also admired my hefty purchases of fresh fruit. :) Today my menu included salad, blueberries, almonds . . . bring on the light food.

Teresa said...

Thanks...it looks so yummy.
I wish it was as easy to lose weight as it is to gain it.
My goal this year....take it off and keep it off =)
Have a great day =)