Monday, September 20, 2010

lemonade picture no. 3

These are the girls of Carriage House Apt. 308.
The year I lived with them was one of the best years of my life so far.

A few weeks ago I was organizing the closet in our extra bedroom and I came across a box full of my journals. Now the problem with organizing (as with looking through picture files) is that I get caught up and want to review everything.
Perhaps the problem is that I am a sentimental girl.

Either way, I was reading my journal entries from the semester I started living with this group of girls. Nearly every night as I went to bed I would write something along the lines of "I really should have spent more time on my homework today, but we went and played sardines with our FHE brothers. Tomorrow I'm going to be better and get all my assignments done."
The next night, the same entry with some other fun activity.

We actually formed a Study Party Association (SPA) group with some of our FHE brothers with the intent to get together to actually do our homework. Instead we would find an empty classroom in the Smith building, where I would play the piano, we'd plot our life timelines on the dry erase boards, play practical jokes on each other, and watch videos on youtube.

And now that I look back at it, I'm so glad I didn't spend any more time on my homework. I did enough to learn the material and get good grades, which is important,
but these friends, those good, good times,
they were actually a little more important.

Whenever I talk to one of these girls now, we can't stop saying how much we loved living together, how much fun we had, and how we wish we could be back together again. I developed a very real love for my 308 roommates. Sounds sappy, but it is true.

And none of us will ever forget the sight of George riding that little bike down the balcony on Sundays after Church.

9 comments:

Shannon b said...

my college scrapbook is one of my best treasures! I, too, lucked out and had some great roommates before finding Scott. There's just something about those seemingly care-free, independent, crazy first years of college and the friends that you share it with.

The Tibbitts said...

Oh the memories! We had such great times together. I love to pull out our roommate quotes and wisdom of 308 books; it makes me laugh every time. I try to help Tayler understand some of the humor, but I guess you just had to have been there. :)

Megan said...

I have all those same feelings, well articulated! I hope that we get the chance to make more 308 memories!! I love my cookbook, wisdom of 308 (remember how no one believed that we could come up with 308 things!), and my movie from Jesika. Best roommates I've ever had and one of the best years of my life!

heidi said...

living with my roommates was some good times as well. my best girlfriends are from those years.

Cindy said...

I love your walk down memory lane. Makes me want to get lost looking at old happy memories too.

Sharlee said...

I just thought I should let you know that I am a blog stalker of your blog. I hope that doesn't creep you out too too much :) I am a friend of Allison's (of Allison and Mike). I happened upon your blog one day and I quite liked it. I stop by every so often and I always enjoy your blogs. I just have to say that I LOVE this lemonade post thing and I might have to copy you. Thanks for post that make me smile! :)

p.s. I'm Sharlee by the way :)

Mike and Alli said...

Ha ha. I totally just read the above comment and thought, whoa, Becca has a friend named Sharlee too! Weird! Ha ha. Glad you are enjoying Becca's blog, and I am sure she won't mind. She's cool like that.

jesikalo said...

oh i love this Becca!! we had the most wonderful year together! i always wish it could have been longer! i love you girls and am also so grateful for the time we had together!

Lisa Brown said...

I get sentimental and read my old journals too - isn't it the best to have that time of your life recorded?