Saturday, July 31, 2010

anyone know how to stop time?

Since arriving in Utah two weeks ago, Nicholas has:
  • learned to wave hello and goodbye-he waved to Kent the very first day we were here while we were sitting in our tent.
  • learned how to "roll it" in paddy cake
  • enjoyed his first time in a swing
  • grown two molars (that fever he had while camping...yeah, teething)
  • learned to say "uh oh" whenever he drops something
  • given me a kiss for the first time
  • decided there are way too many other exciting things to do than spend his time eating
  • become adept at communicating by nodding or shaking his head ("no, I don't want any of that food, thankyouverymuch")
  • learned how to tell you what the tiger, snake, and goat say (although he's best at tiger, and he says "rawr" to all of them until you correct him)
  • sent his first text message. No joke. It said "On my way 7" thanks to my quick text option and his fondness for the number keys. He sent it to my mom. Maybe he's spent too much time playing with my cell phone?
  • suddenly figured out how to do all the actions to 5 little monkeys swinging in the trees as well as paddy cake
  • mastered the courtesy laugh. heh heh heh.
  • learned a new way of dancing-waving his arms back and forth like Frankenstein
  • spent increasing amounts of time standing on his own
  • and finally, today, he took four wobbling little steps in a row

It's so exciting to see him growing like this. He never changes this quickly when we are at home and it's just me and him all day long. My little brothers and my sister spend so much time with him, and he picks up fast!

Yes, it's exciting. Although it's a terrifying kind of excitement. Today he's waving with his floppy chubby hand and flashing his tiny-toothed grin, and tomorrow I'll wake up and he'll be waving goodbye at the MTC on his way to serve a mission.

What can I do to slow down this precious, precious time?

8 comments:

heidi said...

so sweet but sadly it only goes fast with each child you add on to the bunch. It would be nice to slow things down sometimes!!

magunn said...

Agreed. Isn't it crazy how much they pay attention to other little kids? We were at the beach house with Mark's family (which includes 17 cousins for Mac) and I couldn't believe how much he picked up ... kids are much more fun than moms and dads I guess.

Lis said...

I know exactly what you mean. He sure is CUTE! I love watching him on Sundays!

Dallin said...

Can't wait to see Nicholas' rendition of goats, tigers and snakes, oh my!

anitawarnick.com said...

Oh goodness what a cutie! He is going to be all grown up when we all get back to Texas! Just thought I would let you know that although its been nearly a month since we have seen our beloved Becca and Nicholas, Pax still asks for you guys everyday! NO JOKE! And his way of saying Nicholas has become more clear, its sounds like he is saying willy:) Can't wait to see you guys soon, but I think Pax can't wait even more;)

Teresa said...

Yes, it goes about that fast....just enjoy =)
P.s hope he waits to walk until you guys get back home....so Kent can be there.....but then again kids do things in their own time.
Enjoy your visit.

Jocelyn said...

OH how fast time flies. I knew it would happen but everyday I still feel that feeling of wishing time would stop or and least stand still for a few minutes. all you can do is enjoy the ride! and take lots and lots of pictures!

Libby said...

They do grow fast. We just have to enjoy every moment. Heidi is right. Each child seems to grow faster because they learn from their siblings.