Wednesday, June 23, 2010

five more years

Nicholas and I on our way back in from taking out the trash tonight.

So.
Kent has been doing grad school for just about three weeks now. And I'm already asking myself if it is going to be worth it.
Now, let me rephrase that. I'm already done asking myself if it is going to be worth it. I'm already deciding to adjust, adapt, and move on with this new phase in our lives. (Yes, maybe this post is a pep talk to myself.)

And it's not fun, but it's not terrible, either. Kent comes home from work, starts his classwork (this particular course has been all online), works until dinner, helps me bathe Nicholas, and then works again, sometimes until 11:30 pm.

But at least he comes home.

On Saturdays Kent does a few necessary chores around the house, and then works on school for five or six or seven hours.

But less time for getting out means less money spent on going out.

Nicholas and I are semi-on-our-own a lot more lately. No more "dad's home now mom's done" around here.

And now that we've made it like that past the first few weeks, I have decided to like it that way. It's just me and Nicholas, cleaning up dinner, taking out the trash, having dance parties in the living room, splash parties in the bathtub, and giggle fests in the bedroom.

I think I'm learning a valuable lesson from this. Life isn't always (or possibly even isn't often, or maybe even rarely is) exactly the way you want it to be.

So what.

That's not important. What is important is
learning to love the life you've been given,

and laughing together on your way back in from taking out the trash.

9 comments:

Megan said...

Beca I love this post. It was exactly what I needed to hear. Please keep blogging, it's my way of keeping 308 in the loop and together. I miss you and I hope all goes well while Kent is in school. :)

Libby said...

I hear you. John isn't even in school, but it always seems like it's me and the girls. We see him briefly at dinner time and that's about it and maybe for awhile on Sundays. Hang in there. Maybe someday it will get better.

marilyn said...

Great attitude! Keep smiling:)

Lisa Brown said...

I can understand what you are feeling, and your resolve to be okay. Don't feel terrible if sometimes you waver in your good attitude. I know with my husband's Army schedule, most of the time I can put a brave face on things and not feel bad, but there are still days where I resent it and feel sorry for myself. I just have to pray, talk to Kevin about it, and get back on track again.

Cindy said...

Great Attitude! I wish I would've had you resolve. And of course we are always here to play too.

Shannon b said...

good for you, Becca! Was is Pres. Monson who said that life is full of change . . . we just have to accept it and adapt. :) I'm starting to wonder what life will be like for us when Scott starts his MBA in a few weeks. I know we'll have a lot of Saturdays on our own, which is different for us. We'll see how it goes.

Savanah said...

I love reading your posts! You are an inspiration!

Bree said...

you are always so positive! i love reading your blogs exactly for that reason!

Kimba said...

Love this. Seriously. Sometimes I find myself complaining about things that take Caleb away at night, and then I realize how good I have it, and just like you said, learn to love it. Thank you!! And hopefully it'll be go quickly. :) And yes, it WILL be worth it. And yeah, for Sunday's, right?!