Tuesday, December 8, 2009

my december


We had a frost last week,
and the next day
all the trees lost their leaves, in just a few hours.
I sat in the rocking chair in Nicholas's room and nursed him while I watched the yellow and orange leaves fly past the window, a flock of fall heading out for the winter.

It is our December here in Texas, and I love it.
Yes, I just said Texas and love in the same sentence.
I'm just as shocked as you are, but there's something special about December here.
Clover the green of Christmas spreading across the dormant grass, crisp air, drizzling rain, empty branches stretching into the gray skies.

Maybe I won't miss the snow as much as I thought I would.

7 comments:

heidi said...

that's great! to love where you live is a really great thing!

The Tibbitts said...

I have to say I am slightly envious. It has been below zero here for the past three days or more and snow covers the ground. I don't mind the snow so much, it's the cold and slick roads that I could do without. I am glad you are learning to love Texas. :)

anitawarnick.com said...

I am so glad to here that you love Texas in December! It gives me hope! And Mark and I laughed out loud when we read that Kent broke your box spring by jumping on the bed! hehe And oh my Nicholas is such a cutie!!!

Shannon b said...

that reminds me of a Josh Groban song . . . . :)
So far, your winter sounds very similar to ours . . . an arctic blast (17 degrees right now), leaves all gone in a day, and the rain. Although, for the past week we have enjoyed some delightful sunshine. Gotta savor it while it lasts!

Lisa Brown said...

I knew you would love it :). The beautiful weather in the winter and spring are so worth the heat of the summer. Enjoy :).

Mariley Johnson said...

I am so glad that you are learning to love Texas! I don't hear that too often from anyone that is from a 4 seasonal state! Winter is so pretty here. I love it too!

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there -- out of snow and the bitter cold.. sweet post!